How To Make A Bluebery Fool
When I think about summer desserts that involve very little cooking, the fool comes to mind. Yep – the fool. blueberry fool, that is. A blueberry fool is simply a delicious blueberry compote swirled with rich cream. It is such a non-complicated dessert and it is very easy to make a blueberry fool. I am very serious – I am not fooling around about this.
How To Make A Bluebery Fool – The Compote
To make a blueberry fool, or any fool for that matter, one needs a compote. A compote is gently simmered fruit. In this case, blueberries, a little sugar, some cinnamon and a dash of water are gently simmered on the stove top until the berries pop and a beautiful purple liquid is exuded. This is not only delicious with the fool portion of the blueberry fool, but also on ice cream or spooned over homemade yogurt!
How To Make A Blueberry Fool – The Fool Part
Why is it called a fool? Beats me. I imagine that some rotten egg pastry chef ran out of some decadent, expensive ingredient and replaced it with plain whipped cream whereupon ordering whatever dessert, the customer was fooled and payed full price for what was just whipped cream. The chef then called the dessert and the customer (although not to his or her face) fool. This is something I just made up and I really have no idea why it is called a fool. But it is delicious. The fool part is, classically, just whipped cream. This is one of those spots that I like to add greek yogurt. I think the addition makes for a richer, creamier, and a tad heavier fool which is nice with the compote. A dash of powdered sugar and vanilla brings the fool and the blueberries together! YUM!
How To Make A Blueberry Fool – The Swirl
Constructing the fool is easy. In small glasses, layer the compote and fool mixture until the glass is full. Then, using the handle of a teaspoon or a chopstick, give it a swirl. This looks pretty! You can also make a family style fool. Just mix some of the compote into the large bowl of fool. Easy as pie or tart!
Everything you need to know about how to make a blueberry fool is in the “How To make A Blueberry Fool’ video below. The full recipe follows.
- 1 pound of fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 6 ounces of Greek yogurt (fat free works)
- In a small pot, mix the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, water and cinnamon.
- Put the pot on the stove and bring it to a gentle simmer over medium heat Simmer the blueberries for about 10 minutes until the blueberries pop, the liquid exudes and thickens slightly. Remove the blueberries from the heat and let cool completely.
- To a large bowl add the whipping cream, powder sugar and vanilla. With a hand mixer or whisk, whip the whipping cream until it just begins to thicken. Add the yogurt to the whipping cream and continue to whip with the hand mixer until the mixture holds stiff peaks.
- In small cups, layer the blueberries and the fool mixture. With the back of a spoon, swirl the two together to make it look pretty.
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
- You can also make a large blueberry fool by mixing the compote directly into the large bowl of fool mixture.
- Try a fool with other berries!
Keep Eating! Keep Innovating!
Have you ever heard of a blueberry fool? Let us know in the comments or on Facebook.
Come On! Follow Along!